Due to the great problems as a result of the COVID-19 disease, in 2020 at Luxiona we boosted to develop a new range of UV-C germicidal disinfection products, a disinfection method recommended by the WHO (World Health Organization). We are backed by our extensive experience in the production and marketing of lighting systems for medical and sanitary spaces.
WHAT IS UV-C TECHNOLOGY?
Types of UV Spectrum and their properties:
UV ultraviolet radiation is part of electromagnetic wave radiation, as are X-rays, radio waves, or visible light.
From a practical point of view, the UV spectrum is divided into three categories:
- UV-C - short wave 100v nm - 280 nm This has a strong bactericidal and germicidal effect. It has a high photobiological risk since it can cause severe burns to the skin and eyes.
- UV-B - medium wave 280 nm - 315 nm Its applications are mainly in radiotherapy. It creates provitamin D. It has a low photobiological risk, increases pigmentation and can cause the appearance of small thermal erythemas on the skin.
- UV-A - long wave 315 nm - 400 nm Corresponds to the natural rays of the sun. It is involved in phytochemical processes, pigmentation, etc. The photobiological risk on the skin is negligible.
WHY DOES UV-C DISINFECT?
The UV-C radiation of a low-pressure lamp consists of a single spectral line of radiation at 254 nm, which is located in the area of maximum germicidal effect of the UV-C: between the wavelengths of 250 and 270nm. The UV-C radiation emitted by LED consists of wave radiation between 275 and 280 nm, with a very low germicidal effect. The bactericidal mechanism results from the absorption of energy from UV-C radiation by ribonucleic acids and proteins, which induces chemical reactions that affect the molecular structure of the microorganisms until they are eliminated: DNA+ RNA breakage.
UV-C spectrum Germicidal effectiveness:
Molecular structure (DNA+ARN):
WHY DID WE CHOOSE LOW-PRESSURE RADIATION AS THE SOURCE?
Sources of low-pressure UV-C radiation are more effective than LEDs in their germicidal effect. Low-pressure UV-C radiation lamps are currently the only source of light for applications in large spaces while for small applications UV-C LED its used.
The products of this new UVC range are specially manufactured to stand up to ultraviolet radiation. Discover the notable features of our products according to each model:
- Bactericidal coating: LUXIONA sets the standard by offering the option of including a bactericidal coating in accordance with the same technology as our Health&Care class I, II and III luminaires.
- Motion sensor: To ensure the safety of people and animals, our luminaires include a motion sensor. If the sensor detects a human or animal presence in the room, it automatically disconnects the power source.
- Timer: In the case of portable luminaires, they also incorporate a timer, thus delaying their operation until the person has left the room and reconnecting again before the person enters.
DISINFECTION BY DIRECT RADIATION
Air and surface disinfection by direct UV-C radiation. The germicidal action is produced by direct exposure to UV-C radiation.
- Short disinfection time.
- Bad odour elimination.
- Multiple devices connected to a single control.
- Hidden areas from direct emission will not be disinfected.
- Immediate use of the space once the radiation is over (no need to ventilate as in the case of the ozone disinfection system)
- May affect materials not resistant to UV-C radiation (e.g. some types of polymers).
- Photobiological hazard class RG3.
UVC-FLOW AIR DISINFECTION
Disinfection of the air through UV-C radiation The germicidal action is carried out by forced air circulation inside the disinfection chamber.
- Longer disinfection time than direct radiation.
- Bad obours elimination.
- Especially indicated solutions for closed spaces.
- Easy filter maintenance. Open device not needed.
- Electrical components are protected against dust and UV-C radiation.
- Low noise emission fan.
WHERE CAN WE USE UV-C LUMINAIRES AND DEVICES?
|Health and Care||Industry||Public buildings|
|Hospitality. Hotels and Restaurants||Retail|
FAQs ON UV-C GERMICIDAL DEVICES:
- Does ultraviolet radiation affect alive beings? How can these devices be used Safely?
Ultraviolet radiation is naturally emitted by the sun. Our atmosphere absorbs the most dangerous radiation, such as some UV-B and all UV-C radiation. The latter, between 100 and 280 nm wavelengths, are extremely harmful to alive beings. Our air purification devices keep the source of radiation completely isolated from the outside, so they can be used in areas where living beings are present. Our direct emission products must be used by qualified professional personnel. To minimize risks, our devices have on and off timing systems, so that no human being is required to use them.
- Does ultraviolet radiation affect food?
The interaction of ultraviolet radiation with food is minimal and it is ideal disinfection, since it does not use any type of chemical agent, so it eliminates microorganisms in complete safety, with the food being suitable for consumption immediately after treatment.
- UV-C disinfection devices. Are they suitable for disinfecting surfaces?
Our direct radiation devices are suitable for disinfecting surfaces directly exposed to radiation, being more effective depending on how much radiation reaching these surfaces. This radiation is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, so it varies exponentially as we move away from the source of radiation. Our air disinfection devices collect the air from the room and subject it to intense radiation at close range, thus returning decontaminated air to the room. Therefore, they reduce the risk of surface contamination by airborne germs, but do not disinfect already-contaminated areas.
- Can objects in the room to be disinfected be damaged by the use of these dives?
Our air purification devices have no direct emission of ultraviolet light, so they do not act a threat to the environment, living beings or objects. In the case of direct radiation devices, they can interact with certain materials, just as with continuous exposure to the sun's rays. UV type C rays can alter some materials. This is another reason why they should be used by competent personnel to minimize these risks.
- What is the advantage of UV-C disinfection systems over other systems?
The main advantage is that the disinfected areas can be used immediately after disinfection, provided that the direct radiation has stopped. Moreover, in the case of our air purification products, they can be used in the presence of living beings in the area to be purified, since no direct radiation is produced and no chemicals are emitted that interact with them.
- How long do you have to wait before entering a room that has been disinfected by UV-C?
In the case of the AIRSTREAM UV-C, since it is a device that decontaminates the air without direct radiation, it is immediate, even being compatible with the presence of living beings. With regard to the direct radiation models, AGALINE, OKTAN and UNIVERSAL, the room can be used immediately after the disinfection process, provided that the radiation from the lamps has stopped.
- There are many applications on the market that use LEDs in their devices. Are they also suitable?
There are LEDS that emit at UV-C wavelength, but they do so at a wavelength of 275-280 nm, greater than that emitted by our devices, 254 nm. Radiation with this wavelength is the most effective in eliminating viruses, bacteria, fungi and microorganisms in general. In addition, this length is the best absorbed by ribonucleic acids in particular, being much more effective in RNA-type viruses, such as COVID-19. On the other hand, the optical efficiency of the lamps used in LUXIONA devices is approximately 30 times higher than that of LEDs.
- If UV-C radiation is harmful to living beings, how do I connect the device without being affected?
Our portable devices are equipped with a timer for switching on and off, so that we have enough time to switch on and off before it starts, and after the radiation time is complete it will switch off automatically. The fixed device must be fitted with appropriate safety measures, which may include presence detectors, safety key switches, open door detectors, etc.
- What is the range of action of the devices? How many do I need to disinfect a room?
It depends if we are talking about air purification or direct emission devices. If we are talking about air purification, it is between 23-50 m3/h, taking into account that its use is compatible with the presence of living beings in the area, so that its use can be uninterrupted. For direct radiation devices, as a general rule, we can give an initial approximation according to the following table:
To determine the number of devices and their effectiveness more precisely, you can request a more detailed study from our staff.
- Values obtained according to the most unfavorable irradiances calculated in a theoretical study at 2.8m distance with the useful plan surface at 0.85m.
- Recommendations based on the data provided by the manufacturer of the lamps.
- Conclusions were obtained under ambient conditions of 25º C and 60% relative humidity.
- These data must be considered as a theoretical approximation, it is necessary to check the real irradiance on the surfaces to be treated once the installation has been carried out with a radiometer.
- How long should the devices be used for safe disinfection?
The exposure time of the radiation for the correct elimination of microorganisms, depends on the type of device. For our air purifier model, AIRSTREAM, the time depends on the volume of the room, so we can calculate it according to its disinfection power, 23-50 m3/h. In direct radiation devices, it depends on the type of microorganism to be eliminated and the radiation that reaches the surface to be disinfected. In most cases, 15 minutes at a distance of approximately 1 m may be sufficient, but you can consult with LUXIONA to properly size the installation. Our air disinfection devices collect the air from the room and subject it to intense radiation at close range, thus returning decontaminated air to the room. Therefore, they reduce the risk of surface contamination by airborne germs, but do not disinfect already-contaminated areas.
- Are UV-C devices efficient for the inactivation of the virus responsible for the COVID-19?
Yes, when the virus is directly irradiated by UV-C rays with sufficient energy. The energy reaching the surface will depend on the distance to the emission lamp and the irradiation time.
- How can we ensure that sufficient radiation reaches the surfaces to be disinfected?
Our specialists can carry out an analysis of the area to be disinfected to calculate the irradiance levels that will reach the surfaces. For this, our luminaires have been tested in a specialized laboratory and accredited by ENAC, Asselum. This laboratory has the necessary equipment to obtain the radiation curves of our devices.
PROTECTED SPACES SEAL
In LUXIONA we are aware of the logical concern of society to share spaces as protected as possible against viruses, bacteria, and other microorganisms. In response to the trust placed by our customers in our devices, LUXIONA has created the "Safe Space” seal.
This seal aims to recognize and publicize the commitment of the people responsible for these spaces, to offer their users maximum security. To do so, they trust LUXIONA and its germicidal devices. You can download the Save Space Seal here.
Discover our full range of UV-C devices and luminaires here.
Ask for more information and technical support at email@example.com
Sources of documentation used: